Saturday, January 2, 2010

Review: Pasta maker

I have decided that I am going to start reviewing items that I buy (well technically I was given this as a gift, but whatever). This is my first, so here goes.
The Al Dente Pasta Maker


Like I said I was given this by my parents for Christmas, and I just have to say... This thing is awesome! You make a simple dough, recipe for which is in the instruction book that it comes with. You have to do very little needing, because it does it all for you. As long as you follow the instructions it all turns out great. I found that it took a little practice to get things right, but I played with it for a full afternoon and got it down. It makes flat noodles for Lasagna, which I made last night and it was fabulous. It also has a cutter for making spaghetti, and fettuccine. Plus you can make them as thin or thick as you like. I think the next step is drying my pasta that I make and seeing where that takes me. The only down sides I saw to this machine, is that when I first started using it there was some kind of metallic shavings that were embedded into the dough from the machine. This is why I suggest playing with it for a while before actual use. The dough seemed to kind of clean it out. It doesn't beat the convenience of just opening a box of pasta, but it sure does taste a lot better. Maybe it is the whole idea of "I made it all myself" that made it taste better. Whatever it is I think it was worth it.
I give this machine 3 1/2 stars!
(Out of 4)

5 comments:

Sher said...

Aw, I want one! (said in my 4 year old tantrum voice)
I've made homemade noodles on occasion for chicken noodle soup, but this contraption would make them so much better!

Jules AF said...

I've made homemade pasta once in a cooking class. It was awesome.

Omgirl said...

Can you use it to make other shapes, like penne or farfalle? Cause I hate long skinny pastas, but I love strangely shaped pasta.

Sarah said...

it does not make cool shaped pasta, just fettuccini, spaghetti, and lasagna noodles. You can however cut it up and make your own shapes.

Laura said...

I wish I could say that I had a use for this thing like you do. I thought it was awesome at first but I have no room for it in my kitchen (not that I have room for anything in my kitchen), it's heavy, & I haven't used it once. Mom always returned x-mas gifts when we were kids. Would it be terrible if I returned it to get something I would actually use? Maybe you know someone that would want it?

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin