Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Best Christmas Party Ever

Last year my dad made it very clear that he wanted his family to do something worthwhile for Christmas for someone else. He put my sister in charge, which I think was a great idea, she has a lot more resources and is very smart about these things. As a result we had a great family party yesterday. We decided that instead of swapping presents between the siblings we would put our money together and do something good. It was the first time this season that I really felt the Christmas spirit. We bought gifts for people who needed them and all got together to wrap them and have cider and hang out as a family. I loved that I could teach my kids that it isn't about what you get but what you give, especially when you don't receive in return. We are planning on making this an annual event, and I have to say I am looking forward to it. We were broken into teams to shop and  I especially enjoyed hanging out with my nephew who was on my team. I don't have a really close relationship with my sisters boys they are teenagers and I don't think that their idea of fun is hanging out with their Aunt Sarah. I have always thought that Ethan and I are a lot alike and yesterday kind of confirmed that for me. He is a great kid, all of my sisters kids are great kids. I want to tell my family (I know they don't all read this but hey, at least it is out there) that I love them all very much. I love spending time with them and I think about them and pray for them every day. I hope they all have a wonderful Christmas season. 

No comments:

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin