Monday, June 15, 2009

Menu Monday


I bought The Bug a recipe book for Christmas this year. We started cooking classes last summer as something that she and I could do together to while away the time during the longest three months of the year. These went really well so I thought a recipe book full of yummy desserts would be a good thing for us to use this summer.
So far so good.
We made chocolate cupcakes last week and will be making chocolate mint cookies today. I have made several of the recipes myself and have found them to be pretty good. This is one that I made last night. The recipe book is called Sweet Eats, Mmmore Than Just Desserts by Rose Dunnington

Apple Spice Cake
4 eggs (separated)
1 stick butter softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (fresh ground is best!)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
4 or 5 tart apples peeled cored and diced (4 cups)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup raisins

Separate eggs, and beat whites into a stiff meringue, set aside. In another bowl, cream butter and sugars, add oil, eggs, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add flour baking powder, soda, salt and spices and beat until well blended. Fold in egg whites making sure everything is well blended. Fold in apples, nuts and raisins. Scrape batter into well greased bunt pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

I served this for dessert with some home made ice cream. Then I gave it to my kids for breakfast this morning. It was a lot like the texture of a sweet bread rather than a cake. We really liked it and I think next time I might try substituting some wheat flour to the mix and see if it is good. It was really moist and had a really good flavor because of the blend of spices. This is definitely something I will make again.

1 comment:

Jillene said...

YUMMY!! I love Spice Cakes. I will have to try this recipe for sure.

And I want to know how the Chocolate Mint Cookies are. That is my FAVORITE combo!!

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin