Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I like TV... so sue me

I grew up watching TV, back when I was growing up that wasn't considered a bad thing. I have to admit that I like TV. I also let my children watch TV... apparently in this day and age that makes me a bad mom. The TV that I let my children watch revolves heavily around PBS and actually teaches my kids. For example the other day Bug came to me and actually used the word reassemble. I was floored! She used it in the right context, and she and could tell me exactly what it ment, and the definition of disassemble as well. I asked her where she learned it and, while I was expecting her to say school, her response was that she learned from a TV program. I gotta say I was surprised. I have to admit that I do occasionally let them watch things other than PBS, but that is usually something their father turns on  for them (he loves Sponge Bob). 


I myself watch a lot of TV, I will admit it. I am a fan of TV, it is a good escape for me. I have a lot of stress in my life. Yes I get that there are people who have it harder but,this is my chosen method of escape. I don't usually watch until my children go to bed and then I am a complete couch potato. Hey at least I admit it. I am absolutely happy if I can start watching TV at about 9pm with a bowl of Ice cream in hand, and fall asleep on the couch by about 11.  I like the shows that are really far fetched. They are my break from reality. Lost, Heroes, Alias, Veronica Mars, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc. I watch very little reality TV, (American Idol, and the Amazing Race, they are cheesy I know) I don't really want reality, I get enough reality, I want something non reality so that I can totally zone out. I also get completely obsessed with my shows, I mean REALLY obsessed! I love getting my friends as obsessed as I am. Every time our friend Leah comes into town I get her watching a new show and we have these all night marathons. This weekend it was Big Bang Theory, and season three of Veronica Mars. It is awesome because then I have someone who will talk to me about it. Shane won't watch TV with me most of the time so this is basically my version of girl talk. 


By the way I read a lot of books too! So there!

No comments:

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin