Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Drivin'


Do you remember what it was like when you got your drivers license?
Or when you got your first car?
For me that is what its like every time I get into my car.
Driving equals freedom for me, I love to drive. I will never understand women who stop driving when they get married. As far as I am concerned that is MY car and no one else should be driving it. Especially if I am in it. I hate being a passenger. My friends give me a hard time because any time we all go somewhere together I have to drive. Mostly it is a control issue, but a lot of it is also that I get a kind of trill from driving. It really is one of my favorite things to do. I love long road trips. Emanhaud and I have the best conversations while we are driving too. For some reason we can let loose and really talk to each other when we are in the car. We discuss politics, movies, books, finances, and just about anything else that might be on our minds. The funny thing is that we don't talk to our kids at all when we are in the car. The Bug gets really annoyed by this, because she really wants to be part of the conversation.
For me being alone in the car is the best time for me to think. I just let my mind wander and think about things in a way that I just don't normally. I get some of my best thinking done this way. Any time you pull up next to me you can guarantee that my music is going full blast too, and you can almost always catch me singing along as loud as possible. (Windows up of course!)
Don't worry I obey traffic rules while doing this!
Maybe I like driving so much because I waited longer than most to get my license. I was 18 and graduated from High School before I could drive. I bought my first car just before I got my license. I paid $125 for it when I bought it from my uncle and I put $800 in repairs into it, a lot of them myself. I will admit I did NOT like driving a mini-van but it was still freedom and I dealt with it until I finally sold my van this summer. Driving is also the thing that makes me the most mad. I hate it when people don't obey traffic rules. I will yell and cuss at people for doing stupid things. This makes my family very happy as you can imagine. But I still love driving and they will have to remove my license from my cold dead hands at the age of 100 before I give it up. Maybe I will request to be buried in my car!
How about you do you like to drive?

5 comments:

Elaine Shandra said...

I appreciate the ability to drive, and like road trips, but driving around town is the pits! Still, even when it seems that everyone is out to get me, I'm glad that I have my independence. However, I will probably be one of those women that prefer their husbands to drive if they happen to be going somewhere together.

mCat said...

I love dribing! I think that is why I care so much what kind of car I have, because I love to drive.

And I too, have to be the driver - the whole control issue thingie...

Unknown said...

My first car was a Plymouth Valient with push button controls on the dash. Only one I have ever seen. I bought it while on duty in Marina, Ca. in 1968. I had a blogger friend, who is very pregnant, comment that she had someone park next to her the other day so close that she could not get into her car on the drivers side and could not climb over the console being so pregnant. Fortunately she found a store clerk that crawled in to move the car out of the space so she could leave. And they give them license.
Odie

ZiggyandFamily said...

I was afraid to drive, because of all the horrible accidents my father had with us in the car. He made me take driver's education in my senior year. I was 17 almost 18 when I got my license, and the freedom made it all worth the fear!!!!!!!!! I can not say that I love driving, but will have a difficult time giving up my independence, when that time come to stop driving for the safety of other people.

ZiggyandFamily said...

Oh yes, I do like someone else to drive when that opportunity comes. :)Because more than having independence, I like to KNOW where we are going at every moment. Thus being a navigator is the best job for me. LOL!!

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin